Sunday, July 15, 2012

My Favorite Baby Must Haves

Rylan is just over 4 months old and here's a list of what I simply can't live without for him...

Bjorn Carrier - We have two, but this one is the best for lighter babies. It's so easy to use and the baby can face towards or away from you. I have Rylan in this all the time so that I can do things with Brandon and use both hands.

Aden and Anis bamboo swaddle blankets  - So soft and pretty. We only swaddled Rylan for the first month, but I use these to cover the stroller or bjorn so he doesn't get sun (or touched by creepy people on the street). The Sleep sacks with swaddle attachments are also a must-have if your baby is breaking out of normal swaddles. The Miracle Blanket is even tougher for them to get out of, but it's kinda a pain to do up, especially after a diaper change at 2 am. I'm also obsessed with the Aden and Anis burp cloths/bibs. They are the perfect size and shape and I love that they serve multiple functions.

White noise machine - Blocks out all kinds of noise when the baby is sleeping. With a toddler and a crazy dog running around this is a must have.


Summer Infant Video Monitor - This one is the best!! We've been through 3 different brands and they all broke on us within 6 weeks. This one has been going strong for a year plus now, and we even added a camera so we can watch both of the boys rooms. It has a scan feature that automatically switches between up to 4 cameras every 8 seconds. Perfect for when you are sleeping and want something that is going to monitor multiple children.


Stroller(s) - You gotta have one, and if you live in NYC it better be good! We actually have 3, and I love them all for different reasons. A Maclaren for easy fold-up, great for when we are going to be taking a cab or car someplace. An UppaBaby with an attached rumble seat, which I use when I have both kids but will be in a more cramped place, like Whole Foods. And a double BOB running stroller. Even though the BOB is enormous, it's probably my favorite. We have the car seat adapter and I've been running with Rylan since he was 3 months old. It's insanely heavy with both kids and the car seat, which has really kicked my butt into shape. It's a large stroller to have in nyc, but I like that both the boys can see out. It also does amazing in the snow!

Fisher Price Bouncy Chair and Play Mat - We have some of the other "cooler" versions (that cost like 4x as much), but you just can't beat the classics. They have more bells and whistles and the kids generally respond to the colors and lights. The others might look better with your decor, but you will be running out to get the gaudy bright colored jungle of toys sooner or later.


Play Pen - We have a Graco, but I don't think it matters what brand. You just need a place where you can put the baby down and know he's safe for a few minutes. I actually do "independent play time" in the play pen. I have a mobile and a handful of soft rattles in there for Rylan and he will hang out there for 30 minutes most days while I cook dinner. Brandon did his independent play time in there until he was 18 months old and then switched to his room. It's also a great place for them to sleep if you are traveling.

Medela breast pump - If you are planning on breast feeding, a good pump is a must. I know there are people out there that never end up giving their baby a bottle, but this mommy needs a break every once in a while. Not to mention that a pump can help you with supply issues. If you are not getting enough milk, pump in between feedings to increase supply. Too much milk and all you have to do is pump a little before you start feeding to keep from drowning the baby. I actually started exclusively pumping for Rylan after about 2 months. I just found it quicker and easier to do things on my schedule and I've never really been skilled enough to breastfeed in public. I would highly recommend getting a double pump. It just makes life easier and every minute counts when you have a newborn.

Diapers.com - I seriously don't know what I would do with out them. I get deliveries multiple times per week. They are quick, reliable and easy to deal with if anything every does go wrong.

I would love to hear from you what make your must-have for baby list!

No comments:

Post a Comment